Report to: CEO
Supervise/ Leader of: Chief Accountant, System Accountant
To manage funds in such a manner as to maximize return on investment while minimizing risk, and while also ensuring that an adequate control structure is in place over the transfer and investment of funds. To engage in financial analysis in such areas as forecasting, budgeting, engaging in cost reduction analysis, and reviewing operational performance
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
- Manage outsourced functions
- Operate the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives
- Forecast cash flow, related borrowing needs, and available funds for investment
- Ensure that sufficient funds are available to meet ongoing operational and capital investment requirements
- Use hedging to mitigate financial risks related to the interest rates on the company's borrowings, as well as on its foreign exchange positions
- Maintain banking relationships
- Assist in determining the company's proper capital structure
- Arrange for equity and debt financing
- Recommend appropriate dividend issuances, based on historical dividend patterns and expected cash flows
- Manage the preparation of the company's budget
- Report to management on variances from the established budget, and the reasons for those variances
- Assist management in the formulation of its overall strategic direction
- Engage in ongoing cost reduction analyses in all areas of the company
- Review the performance of competitors and report on key issues to management
- Engage in benchmarking studies to establish areas of potential operational improvement
- Interpret the company's financial results to management and recommend improvement activities
- Review company bottlenecks and recommend changes to improve the overall level of company throughput
- Participate in target costing activities to create products that meeting predetermined price goals
- Assist in the determination of product pricing in relation to features offered and competitor pricing
- Compile key business metrics and report on them to management
- Manage the capital budgeting process, based on constraint analysis and discounted cash flow analysis
- Create additional analyses and reports as requested by management
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
- Return on Equity
- Liquidity Ratios
- Asset Management Ratios
- Profitability Ratios
- Leverage Ratios
- Market Value Ratios
- Comparing Financial Statements
Experience, Education/ Training Qualifications, Knowledge:
- 3 to 5 years of progressive financial responsibility
- University degree or college diploma in Accounting, Commerce, or Business Management/Administration
- Generally accepted accounting principles
- Federal and provincial legislation affecting charities
- ERP system
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
- Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem