We are a leading global integrated supply chain manager and processor of agricultural products and food ingredients, sourcing 20 products with a direct presence in 70 countries and supplying them to over 16,200 customers. With direct sourcing and processing in most major producing countries for its various products, we have built a global leadership position in many of its businesses, including Cocoa, Coffee, Cashew, Sesame, Rice, Cotton and Spices. Headquartered in Singapore and listed on the SGX-ST on February 11, 2005, we currently ranks among the top 40 largest listed companies in Singapore in terms of market capitalization and is a component stock in the Straits Times Index (STI), MSCI Singapore Free, S&P Agribusiness Index and the DAX global Agribusiness Index.
Job Description for Agronomist
This is a greenfield Pepper plantation project and the position holder will be part of the start-up team that will start the plantation from the beginning.
- Strategic Agronomic Planning
- Monitor and report field usage and maintain stock records.
- Ensure that necessary information/ documentation is available for operations and other departments.
- Crop Management
- Assist in the planning, management and monitoring of the Pepper plantation.
- Assist in ensuring that yield is maximised economically under the prevailing conditions of the season.
- Maintain extensive historical database, including yields and varieties.
- Aerial Operations; complete orders for all aerial operations and monitor aerial activities to ensure quality of operations and that operations are undertaken during the desired climatic conditions.
- Research and Development
- Assist the Plantation head/s and other Agronomy team members in conducting research and development, and implementation of new ideas and technologies.
- Identify problem areas requiring investigation and research.
- Draw up trial plans, assessment methods etc. in conjunction with plantation heads and agronomists and the R&D team. Undertake and analyse trials to maintain and improve our position as industry leader.
- Coordinate trial requirements within operational constraints.
- At the end of each season, or earlier if possible, ensure that trials are assessed and data interpreted.
- Ensure collation and presentation of end of season reports on the farm.
- Actively seek out and propose any relevant technical developments and determine their “fit” into company farming practices.
- Insect Control Management
- Obtain accurate and timely assessment of pest dynamics and make daily insect control decisions.
- Instruct aerial operators on insecticide product, rate and mix.
- Manage application to achieve maximum efficiency without spray failures and with safety to crops, personnel and environment.
- Co-ordinate all sprays with the plantation head and farm team members.
- Weed Management
- Conduct weed assessments and decide on herbicide products, rates and application method.
- Maintain accurate rates and placement on and aerial applications.
- Assist in achieving minimal weed infestations in irrigation channels, coordinating controls and sprays with the Plantation head throughout the year.
- Irrigation Scheduling of all Crops
- Make crop inspections to determine irrigation dates in conjunction with the Plantation head.
- 12 to 15 years’ experience as agronomist. Experience of working on Pepper agronomy is mandatory
- Degree in agriculture sciences in preferred
- Work location is Cuh Puh, Gia Lai Province, Vietnam