The purpose of this position is to direct the operation and maintenance of the wastewater treatment plant currently located on 2 separate sites 1.2 Kilometers distance apart.
This is accomplished by meeting with WWT Plant staff and Production Plant staff to discuss operations and maintenance issues; reviewing WWTP data and directing process changes to ensure compliance with all applicable permits; meeting with staff on personnel matters, including safety related issues; assisting in preparing budgets for the wastewater treatment plant; assisting in overseeing expenditures and preparing bid specifications/reviewing various contracts. Other duties include reviewing new technologies and making recommendations as to their useful benefit; monitoring the WWTP computer control system and related equipment and software.
- Reviews all plant functions and activities to ensure compliance by reviewing plant process trends graphics, and data; discussing results with Manager Bakery Ingredients and Manager Yeast. discussing plant operation efficiency with Operations Manager; touring facility to view process activities and equipment performance; discussing, modifying and developing Standard Operating Procedures with Operations Manager; supervises Operations Shift Supervisors
- Reviews the WWTP maintenance by reviewing scheduled and repair work orders; preparing status updates for Operations Manager; discussing maintenance projects and time schedules with Operations Manager; overseeing maintenance projects; supervises ETP Maintenance Supervisor
- Oversees expenditures of budgeted funds by assisting in the preparation of the annual budget for the WWTP.
- Works with staff on issues related to plant personnel by discussing personal issues; meeting to discuss grievances and render decisions; interacting with Human Resources when needed; discussing safety issues and training programs with plant management staff; monitoring attendance
- Prepares various daily, weekly, monthly and Annual reports as per current requirements and agreements. Prepares Regulatory Requirement Reports as per current requirements.
- Liaise and works with Global Yeast in all WWT matters.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Work requires contacts with coworkers from other organizational units. Resourcefulness is required to reach or adjust working agreements within departmental procedures and operating needs. Tact and judgment are requirements in obtaining or giving information of a confidential nature.
- This job title requires a comprehensive, practical knowledge of a technical field with use of analytical judgment and decision-making abilities appropriate to the work environment of the organization.
- The job title prepares accounting, budget, employment actions, and purchasing documents; and does research to justify language used in documents for a unit or division of a department. May recommend budget allocations.
- Ability to read literature, books, reviews, scientific or technical journals, abstracts, financial reports, and/or legal documents.
- Ability to deal with system of real numbers; practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios/proportions and measurement.
- Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech.
- Minimum Acceptable Training and Experience Recognised qualification in a Chemical or Biological Science subject. [Bachelor level and Preferably at Masters level]
- Five years’ experience in the operation of a wastewater treatment plant within the food industry, including at least three years in a supervisory role.