Beverages /Coffee/Cereals & New Businesses (M&Aâ€™s)
- Capability Leadership of Packaging, Consumer Technical Insight (Sensory), Process Development and Nutrition functions.
Location: Binh Duong (Kumho/Bien Hoa)
Reporting to: Chief R&D Officer (vacant)
Direct reports: 25 + (TBC)
Main job purpose:
The R&D Director is responsible for the definition, prioritization and execution of the agreed R&D program to the business including innovation/renovation, Supply Chain (technology support, savings, complexity reduction, supply security), Quality and business support â€“ aligned with the business and brand strategies. He/she is responsible for effective product deployment right down to the level of in-market implementation.
The R&D Director will lead appropriate projects around new business/categories development e.g. technical due diligence on M&As, R&D consolidation thru M&As, new category white space projects etc
The R&D Director leads capability teams â€“ Packaging, CTI, Process Development and Nutrition across the entire R&D organization in order to execute and deliver flawlessly in-market.
They are the key R&D partner to the Brand Development and Supply Chain Leadership teams and a key member of the Senior R&D Leadership Team.
Main Accountabilities :
- Define and deliverthe various categories R&D short term roadmaps as well as the 3-5 years plans aligned with category and business strategy. Championswithin all key projects, theHolistic Product design principle, ensuring product superiority as defined by each category.
-Ensures effective portfolio and innovation gate stage leadership and management.
- Partners with the Research team to ensure the program is suitablydefined and aligned with category needs.
- Develops programs and implementsrecommendations for complexity reduction in materials and product/packaging backbones while at the same time ensuring maximum formulation/product flexibility.
- Defines/prioritizes (together with Supply Chain) the R&D Supply Chain support projects as well as material efficiency savings programs that require R&D work: technical projects (new process, technologies implementation, capabilities improvement/ manufacturing relocation), quality improvement/protocols harmonization, supply security, sourcing etc.
- Defines/prioritizes (together with Supply Chain) the R&D quality agenda and ensures delivery of the quality action plan.
- Develops the appropriate IPR strategies and positions protecting the products and technologies we generate.
- Leads appropriate projects around new business/categories development e.g. technical due diligence on M&As, R&D consolidation or expansion thru M&Aâ€™s, new category white space projects and technologies etc
- Leads capability teams â€“ Packaging, CTI (Consumer Technical Insight/Sensory), Process Development and Nutrition across the entire R&D organization in order to execute and deliver flawlessly in-market. CTI, Process Development and Nutrition requiring a "start from scratchâ€ design and build approach.
- Ensures development / implementation of best practice in work processes.
- Leadership and development of their teamsto ensure on time in full (shortest time possible) delivery of new innovations to the market - in addition to fulfilling long term innovation commitments.
- Inspires a culture to win in out in the marketplace. Takes ownership and action for their teams overall motivation and engagement - improving the climate and organizational effectiveness.
- Development of people through proactive management including training, coaching and career planning.
Relevant R&D teams
Brand Development and Consumer Market Knowledge teams
Regulatory and Research R&D teams
Suppliers and External Partners
Critical Success Factors for the Job
Key Skills :
- Consumer and Customer focus â€“ with a strong bias in sensory approaches
- Strong understanding of product design, process and principles - Foods
- Claims definition
- Strong understanding of risk management and risk calculation
- Issues management/crisis preparedness & management
- Portfolio Development and Project Management
- Protecting competitive advantage and driving value from Intellectual Property
- Designing and deploying differentiated products On Time In Full
- Strong grasp on Supply Chain conversion principles â€“ in particular Foods Process Design and Development
- At least 5 years of management experience in a senior technical role, preferably R&D
- Degree level qualification in appropriate science or engineering subjects
- Proven track record on people development
- Proven track record in establishing and building external networks