- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the board of directors.
- Form a close working relationship with the Managing Director, other Senior Executives and Non Executives.
- Provide leadership to the Board's Finance and Accounting strategy, to optimise the company’s financial performance and strategic position.
- Take overall control of the company’s accounting function
- Contribute fully to the development of company strategy across all areas of the business, challenging assumptions and decision-making as appropriate and providing financial analysis and guidance on all activities, plans, targets and business drivers.
- Ensure that company financial systems are robust, compliant and support current activities and future growth.
- Lead and develop finance teams.
- Work with senior teams to grow the business, formulating strategies and plans.
- Ensure corporate budgeting processes are carried out and reviewed.
- Take ultimate responsibility for the company cash management policies.
- Present annual accounts to investors.
- Ensure that the regulatory requirements of all statutory bodies are met.
- Corporate finance: manage company policies regarding capital requirements, debt, taxation, equity, disposals and acquisitions, as appropriate.
- Establish a high level of credibility and manage strong working relationships with external parties including customers and advisors.
Typical qualities of a successful Finance Director include:
- Qualified member of an accountancy body or holder of an equivalent qualification
- Meet the requirement for a commercially astute, articulate, technically strong, dynamic, insightful and influential leader with the ability to operate at both strategic and operational levels.
- Exceptional communication skills at all levels
- Strong IT skills, always being ahead of new technologies
- Ability to handle high levels of pressure and critical decision-making.
- High integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance.
- Energetic, highly motivated, with an enquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success.